Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawsuit

The Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawsuit

The Dugan Law Firm is representing people who lived or worked at Camp Lejeune Marine Base in North Carolina from 1957 to 1987 and who were injured by the contaminated water and have been diagnosed with the following:

  • Liver cancer
  • Kidney cancer
  • Bladder cancer
  • Adult Leukemia
  • Childhood Leukemia
  • Multiple Myeloma
  • Parkinson’s Disease
  • Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
  • Aplastic Anemia
  • Myelodysplastic Syndromes

Two of eight water treatment facilities that supplied water to Camp Lejeune were contaminated with toxic chemicals.  Water from the Tarawa Terrace Treatment Plant and the Hadnot Point Treatment Plant were found to be contaminated primarily by two toxic chemicals.

In August 2022, the U.S. government passed the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022, which was part of the Honoring Our Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics (PACT) Act.  You only have until August 2024 to file a Camp Lejeune lawsuit.  Before filing a lawsuit, every individual must submit an administrative claim and comply with section 2576 of title 298. United States code. Camp Lejeune Justice Act. Sec. 804(h).

Who can file a claim?  Anyone who resided at the marine corps base while the Camp Lejeune accident was occurring may be eligible to file a claim.  This includes active duty and former service members, family members living on base, non-military staff, families of deceased and even in utero victims who were not yet born when their mother was residing at Camp Lejeune.

Gathering Evidence

Evidence is vital to supplement your claim such as:

  • Documents proving residence at Camp Lejeune
  • Military service records
  • Medical records and diagnoses
  • Medical bills
  • Travel records
  • Health care information

Knowing how to properly present your claim initially is very important and could affect the outcome of your ultimate lawsuit if done improperly.  The Camp Lejeune Justice Act sets out specific criteria that have to be met to file a claim.  If the claim is denied, or unanswered  only then can a lawsuit be filed in North Carolina.  Please contact the Dugan Law Firm so that we make sure your rights are fully protected.